OUR STORY: CUNNINGHAM AVIATION
OUR STORY: CUNNINGHAM AVIATION
Cunningham Aviation, LLC was founded during the height of the Covid-19 pandemic in September 2020. Founder and President, George Cunningham, was anything but idle during this time and aimed for the skies settling on Falcon Field as his next business venture. “I’ve always had a love for flying and aviation in general,” says George, who is also a private pilot. He goes on to describe the airport’s military history and veteran community as one of the best perks to the job. Cunningham Aviation is where Brigadier General Richard Stich and the Falcon Warbirds keep their aircraft, which they regularly use for fly overs at funerals and military events.
The 30,000 square foot hangar was in shambles at the time of purchase. George and his wife, Nicolle, spent the last 2-years restoring the space to it’s former glory, when it was owned and operated by Hughes Helicopters in the 1970s and 1980s. They’ve added a fuel farm and will soon offer fuel and other services at Falcon Field.
The newly renovated hangar is also office headquarters for the Cunningham’s family-owned auction and appraisal companies: Cunningham & Associates, Inc., BidIndustrlal.com, AuctionAZ.com and AuctionAZ Real Estate, LLC.
Over the past 30-years, George has auctioned several aircraft ranging from Cessna 172s to the last two airworthy Mach 2 Vought F-8 Crusaders.
George is a hometown boy, born and raised in the valley and attended Mountain View High School. He received his degree in Finance from Northern Arizona University. In addition to his Aircraft Dealer License, George holds the following credentials and memberships:
What a coincidence!
1941 The first flight at Falcon Field in September. Falcon Field was one of three airfields in Arizona built to train Royal Air Force pilots prior to the USA entering WWII. The Cunningham’s bought the former Hughes Helicopters manufacturing plant/hangar in September of 2020 precisely 79 years later.
1947 Howard Hughes founded Hughes Helicopters, the same year Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier, and the same year George Y. Cunningham conducted his first auction after retiring from the US Navy where he served in both WWI and WWII.
1976 The Cunningham Aviation hangar and offices were built by Hughes Helicopters to design and build the Hughes AH-64, later known as the Apache Longbow attack helicopter, the same year Howard died. The prototype and first several hundred units were built right here in our hangar.
1984 McDonnell Douglas bought Hughes Helicopters and moved production across the street to the current Longbow production facility.
1984 – present the Cunningham Aviation hangar has been a Piper dealership, Red Rock Flight School (still operating here) and various other businesses.
The next step in the life of this incredible place will be full service Fixed Base Operation selling and delivering fuel, full service, and self-serve.
Now, the hangar and offices are home to the Falcon Warbirds, the Aviation Explorers simulator and monthly pancake breakfast, Red Rock Flight School and of course Cunningham Aviation and the Cunningham auction and appraisal companies.